As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on January 13, 2021 by Ian Foster
If you’re having high blood pressure or you’re highly at risk of having it, you need to check your blood pressure regularly.
But going to the doctor every day for this purpose isn’t practical.
So, your best bet is to invest in the best home blood pressure monitor, as it would allow you to check your blood pressure on your own at any time and ultimately protect you against the dangers of hypertension.
The demand for blood pressure monitors continues to boom — thanks to increasing awareness of their importance.
This explains why the market now abounds with different models by several brands. But with this development comes a huge concern — accuracy.
According to Harvard Health, 5 to 15 percent of people using home blood pressure monitors may be getting inaccurate results.
And since many doctors do rely on — in part, at least — home blood pressure readings, such inaccuracies could prompt doctors to wrongly increase or reduce the dosage of blood pressure medications.
To avoid falling victim to this sad reality, you need to shop for your blood pressure monitor with accuracy at the top of your checklist.
In this post, we’d be reviewing some of the most accurate blood pressure monitors available on the market. Read on to learn more.
We spent several hours researching different blood pressure monitors by over 20 brands.
We compared the figures obtained from each model to those obtained from a sphygmomanometer and assessed each model for consistency.
We then sought the opinions of medical experts and consulted detailed and thorough academic resources on the subject.
- Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor: Amazon Best Sellers
- Our Top 4 Best Home Blood Pressure Monitors
- How to Tell a Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor
- Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor On Amazon!
Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor: Amazon Best Sellers
If you’re in a hurry, take a look at these Amazon Best Sellers. Otherwise keep reading!
- Physician Trusted. 9 out of 10 U.S. physicians use Welch Allyn products in their daily practice. Welch Allyn is the brand used for blood pressure measurement by more physicians than any other brand
- Clinical-grade Technology. The Welch Allyn Home 1700 blood pressure machine incorporates SureBP, the same blood pressure technology featured in Welch Allyn vital signs monitors used by physicians
- Fast and Comfortable. The 1700 BP monitor captures readings in about 20 seconds—about ½ the time as the leading competitor—while the blood pressure cuff is inflating to minimize squeezing
- Trusted brand
- Unlimited memory and users with the free app - The Omron gold wrist monitor stores 200 total blood pressure readings for 2 users (100 per user, most of any Omron wrist blood pressure monitor). Memory...
- High morning average indicator – Among Omron Amazon-exclusive blood pressure monitors, this feature is unique to the Gold and Platinum monitors. The indicator alerts the user if systolic or...
- Trusted brand
- Advanced accuracy - With Advanced Accuracy, an exclusive Omron technology, this monitor measures five times more data points for consistent, precise readings.
- Unlimited memory and users with the free app - The Omron Silver Upper Arm Monitor stores 80 total blood pressure readings for 1 user. Memory and users are unlimited with the Omron Connect free app...
Our Top 4 Best Home Blood Pressure Monitors
The Platinum Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor by OMRON is one of the most complete options available on the market.
Being one of the latest releases by OMRON, this device is powered by OMRON Advanced Accuracy Technology, which measures five times more data points to provide more precise and consistent readings.
This technology, which is exclusive to OMRON, reduces the impacts that your breathing and other slight movements will have on your blood pressure readings, thereby minimizing inconsistencies and errors in BP measurement.
At first sight, you won’t miss the unique design — a horizontal build with a dual LCD monitor that allows for an instant side-by-side comparison of your new reading with your last reading.
The display is large, black, and backlit, so readings are very easy to see.
With the Platinum Upper Arm monitor, you can store up to 200 blood pressure readings for two different users (100 per user).
So, you can catch some extra fun with your partner — if you have one — by comparing your blood pressure readings — if you have one.
The device also allows for wireless (Bluetooth) connection with your iOs- or Android-based mobile device via the OMRON Connect app, as well as Alexa-enabled devices via OMRON Health Skill.
Using OMRON Connect gives you access to unlimited storage memory, comparison graphs, and tracking of BP trends.
For accurate readings, medical experts do recommend tracking the average of three consecutive blood pressure readings.
So, each time you check your blood pressure, your best bet is to find the average of the new reading plus the last two readings.
But the OMRON Platinum Wireless blood pressure monitor has made this task easier for you.
Thanks to the device’s Advanced Averaging feature, it automatically shows the average of your last readings (up to three) taken within the last 10 minutes.
Even more interesting is TruRead technology which automatically measures your blood pressure 3 times at intervals you can decide during each measurement session and displays the average.
This makes the readings more accurate.
Because many people have increased blood pressure in the early part of the day (“morning hypertension”), the OMRON Platinum Blood pressure monitor comes with a unique Morning Hypertension Indicator and Averaging feature, which calculates your daily morning average blood pressure and shows a “HIGH” symbol to alert you if your morning weekly average blood pressure is on the high side.
Another OMRON-exclusive feature that comes with this device is the Irregular Heartbeat Symbol that alerts you whenever an irregular heartbeat was detected while you’re measuring your blood pressure.
The device also notifies you with a “HIGH” symbol whenever your measurement is above 130mmHg and/or 80mmHg.
To ensure that the OMRON Platinum Blood pressure monitor works for almost everyone, the manufacturer has included (in addition to the included small D-ring cuff) a wide-range D-cuff ring that perfectly fits standard- and large-sized arms (9 inches to 17 inches in circumference).
The product package also contains an AC adapter, 4 AA batteries, and a protective LCD cover.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Most of the reviews and answers you’d find on the product’s Amazon page are referring to the older version of the product, which is not as accurate and feature-packed as this new version.
What we like
- Packed with features that eliminate inaccuracies
- Consistent and precise readings
- Unique design
- Easy to use and take readings from
- Can store up to 200 readings for 2 different users
- Supports wireless connection to smartphones
- Takes an average of 3 consecutive readings
- Detects irregular heartbeats and pulse
- Has Morning Hypertension Indicator feature
- Wide-range cuff
- Supports both AC and DC (batteries) power options
What we dislike
- No talking feature
- Features dual LCD backlit screen with extra large digits to display your last reading beside your current reading for comparison; Manage/track 200 total readings for 2 users (100 per user); Easy Wrap...
- Includes irregular heartbeat symbol that signals number of irregular heartbeats (up to 3); Hypertension indicator alerts you if your systolic/diastolic measurements are out of normal range; TruRead...
- Bluetooth connectivity with the free Omron connect app (on select iOS & Android devices) stores unlimited readings and users; Works with Amazon Alexa enabled devices using the Omron Health skill
Aside from accuracy, portability is another quality that makes the OMRON Evolv unique.
Also recommended by three medical societies recognized by the American Heart Association, this device has its cuff and monitor conjoined in a single unit, so there are no tubes or wires — and this makes the whole unit particularly lightweight.
To put on the OMRON Evolv, you have to simply slip your arm through the preformed ring before tightening the Velcro fastener.
But if your arms are on the larger side (circumference more than 15 inches), wearing the device might be a bit difficult.
Like the Beurer M55, the OMRON Evolv can tell if your heartbeats are irregular and warn you if your blood pressure readings are rendered unreliable by movement — it indicates this with a symbol of a person surrounded by wiggly lines.
However, taking readings from the display is somewhat difficult.
You’d have to tilt your neck to see the display because it’s on your arm.
Worse, some users have complained that the display is small and the figures aren’t very easy to see even with the backlight on.
Like the OMRON Platinum device, the OMRON Evolv can connect wirelessly (via Bluetooth) to an app on your mobile phone — the OMRON Connect app.
The app shows graphs of your blood pressure trends over many months up to one year, as well as your daily and monthly average readings.
The data provided on the app can easily be printed or sent to your doctor via email.
Note, however, that you can enjoy the various features of the OMRON Evolv even without the OMRON Connect app.
The OMRON Evolv runs on 4 AAA batteries and comes with a 5-year limited warranty. Unlike the Beurer M55, it doesn’t come with a carrying case.
But since it’s a conjoined, portable unit in itself, packing it for travel is still very easy even without a case.
What we like
- Upper arm monitor
- Unique, compact design
- Detects irregular pulse and heartbeat
- No tubes and wires
- Connects wirelessly (Bluetooth) to mobile app
- Definitely a best home blood pressure monitor
What we dislike
- No carrying case
- Results somewhat difficult to read
- Measure, store and review up to 60 blood pressure readings with date/time stamps for one user; the enhanced Irregular Heartbeat Counter displays the number of irregular heartbeats detected (up to 3)...
- Includes all of the Omron exclusive features of our 5 Series Monitor (Model BP7200), but offers Bluetooth connectivity with the free Omron Connect app, providing unlimited memory/users; also works...
- Hypertension indicator displays if your systolic and/or diastolic are above normal range; the soft, Wide Range D Ring contoured cuff is designed to comfortably fit standard and large adult arms, 9" to...
The Beurer BM55 comes packed with everything you need in a blood pressure monitor.
Designed in Germany with quality and high-precision technology, the monitor has been recommended by three medical societies recognized by the American Heart Association.
Unlike most other blood pressure monitors, the Beurer BM55 can detect irregularities in your heartbeat and notify you immediately.
And it can quickly calculate the average of three readings.
It also breaks away from the regular design sported by other options, as it comes in a unique aesthetically-appealing design that doesn’t give it off as a medical device.
It also sports a backlit screen that is quite easy to read and keeps results displayed for several minutes (the backlight turns off shortly, though).
Another feature that places the Beurer BM55 ahead of others in terms of accuracy is its patented rest indicator, which tells whether you’re calm enough for your readings to reflect correct blood pressure figures — which can only be obtained when you’re calm in body and mind.
This displays as a light-up icon of a reclining person, which shows a red light if you’re not calm and a green light if you’re adequately rested and calm.
This doesn’t mean you have to remain still — very light movements such as crossing your legs won’t trigger the red light.
The device also indicates if the reading has been rendered unreliable or inaccurate due to improper cuff placement as well as if you’re not waiting long enough after one test to run another.
These, added to the patented rest indicator, help to ensure that your readings are as accurate as possible.
Right beside the screen lies a colored risk indicator, which indicates how safe or dangerous your BP levels are — as compared with standard metrics by the WHO.
In addition, the device reads your BP figures aloud in a moderate volume that isn’t whisper quiet and not annoyingly loud either.
There are just 3 buttons on the Beurer BM55, and using them is quite straightforward — especially when you need to keep track of BP readings for two different users.
The device comes with an adjustable and comfortable cuff that can fit arms measuring between 8.6 to 16.5 inches in diameter, a protective storage case that makes it easy to travel with, and a pack of batteries.
The display shows when it’s time to replace the batteries, so they don’t die without prior notice.
Another upside of the Beurer BM55 is that allows you to transfer your blood pressure readings to your computer using an included USB cable.
But the process isn’t usually straightforward because the instructions on how to do this aren’t included with the monitor; you can only find them online).
To enjoy this feature, you’d need to create an account with Beurer.
The device is covered by a 5-year warranty for the monitor and a 2-year warranty for the cuff.
What we like
- Upper arm monitor (more accurate than wrist monitors)
- Recommended by AHA-approved medical societies
- Detects irregular pulse and heartbeat
- Unique, sleek design
- Patented rest technology
- Universal cuff included (fits most arms)
- Free storage case included
What we dislike
- No instructions included on how to transfer data from device to PC (but guides are available online).
- MEDICAL CLASS ACCURACY: The German engineered digital bp measurement device BM55, measures and stores systolic + diastolic blood pressure and heart rate with clinical precision.
- ADJUSTABLE SOFT CUFF & EASY TO USE: The extra large adjustable cuff is easily wearable on small & large upper arms. Once your arm is positioned correctly, measuring your bp is just one touch of a...
- MULTIPLE USERS: The monitor stores up to 60 measurements for up to 2 users So, it is easy to track and monitor your whole family’s results – perfect for professional use to observe multiple...
The Vive Precision Blood Pressure Machine is an FDA-approved device that doesn’t disappoint in terms of accuracy — provided all instructions for taking correct readings are followed.
The device sports a large LCD screen with blue backlight and shows readings in bold figures that you can clearly see even from a distance.
And as with others on our list, the device displays all your vital readings — systolic BP, diastolic BP, and pulse rate — at the same time.
It also has a colored risk indicator just beside the display.
This tells how safe or dangerous your blood pressure levels are.
Available in black and silver colors, the Vive Precision blood pressure monitor comes in a sleek design, with its user-friendly interface sporting only four buttons: the user toggle button, the two scrolling (“M” and “S” buttons), and the bigger start/stop button.
And to make it suitable for use by most people, the manufacturer has included a wide-range arm cuff that fits arms that fall within 8.75″ and 16.5″ in circumference.
While this device doesn’t have as many extra features as others on this list, it serves its primary purpose — measuring your BP — with near-perfect accuracy.
However, in addition to that, it also detects irregular heartbeats and can store up to 500 complete blood pressure readings for 2 users (250 per user).
Aside from the monitor and the cuff, the product package also contains a protective hard-shell carrying case, 4 AAA batteries, a power adapter, and a detailed instructions manual.
Note, however, that the device can display your blood pressure readings in two different units — mmHg and KPa.
The widely used option is mmHg, so be sure that your device is set to this unit by default.
Otherwise, you can refer to the user manual for instructions on how to switch units.
What we like
- A bright, bold display
- Simple and easy to use — a great option for seniors
- Wide-range cuff
- Detects irregular heartbeat
- Runs on both AC and DC power options
What we dislike
- The optional kPa unit can be confusing
- INDIVIDUALLY TESTED FOR ACCURACY: Obtain clinically accurate blood pressure readings at home or on the go with the Vive Precision blood pressure monitor. Displaying blood pressure readings, pulse rate...
- OUT OF THE BOX READY: The Vive Precision blood pressure monitor includes everything necessary for out of the box use. The set includes a user-friendly bp monitor with a simple, one-touch operation,...
- TWO USER MEMORY FOR EASY TRACKING: Easily switch between two users to store measurements separately when sharing with a spouse or loved one. Great for doctors visits, the bp monitor stores up to 250...
How to Tell a Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor
1. Direct comparison with a sphygmomanometer
2. Accuracy-enhancing features
3. Consistency and precision
4. Buyer reviews
Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor On Amazon!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.