As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on November 16, 2020 by Ian Foster
Best negative ion generators. If you have a property that has any odors or you’re afraid of what might be floating around in the air, it might be time to look into air purifiers.
One of the best types of purification systems available today is negative ion generators.
We’ve found and reviewed five of the best negative ion generators that you can consider purchasing.
Plus, we included a buyer’s guide and answered some common questions about this device to help you have a more informed buying decision.
- Best Negative Ion Generators: Amazon Best Sellers
- Best Negative Ion Generators: Brief Reviews
- Enerzen O-UVC3 Industrial Ozone Generator Air Purifier Sterilizer with...
- Airthereal MA10K-PRO Ozone Generator 10000 mg/h High Capacity O3...
- Airthereal MA5000 Commercial Generator 5000mg/h Ozone Machine Home Air...
- Alpine Air Commercial Ozone Generator – 6,000 mg/h | Professional O3...
- Air Genie Revolutionary Plug in Air Freshener - Filterless Air Ionizer...
- Best Negative Ion Generators: Buyers Guide
- FAQs About Negative Ion Generators
- Best Negative Ion Generators: Our Final Recommendation
Best Negative Ion Generators: Amazon Best Sellers
If you’re in a hurry, take a look at these Amazon Best Sellers. Otherwise keep reading!
- ✅ For use in: Kitchen, Closet, Bedrooms, Corridors, Bathrooms, Living Rooms, Staircases, Basements, Offices, & Garages
- ✅ Ionization Technology: Up to 10 Million pcs/cm^3 of Negative Ion-Output
- ✅ Efficient: Low noise & low energy consumption
- For use in: Bedrooms, Corridors, Bathrooms, Living Rooms, Staircases, and Other Spaces/Rooms.
- Removes Bacteria & Viruses | Reduces Allergens | Relieves Congestion | Chemical Free | Helps reduce Asthma | Cleaner Air
- Eliminates Dust, Smog, Smoke, Allergens, Pet Dander, & Bacteria to help keep air Fresh & Clean | Smart design with LED indication
- 5-in-1 Air Purification: Our air purifier for large rooms filters up to 99.97% of airborne particles, dust, pollen, smoke, odor, and pet dander as small as 0. 3 microns. Features an advanced...
- Fast & Powerful: Powerful enough to be used in small, medium and large rooms up to 500sq/ft (40 m²) with an incredible Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 218m³/hr built into a small and minimal...
- Negative Ion Generator: With the flick of a switch, the ultra-powerful negative ion generator filters out airborne pollutants for a cleaner environment. It is independently controlled and can be...
Best Negative Ion Generators: Brief Reviews
- NEW & IMPROVED LARGER UNIT AND DESIGN – Adjustable ozone output of 150 mg/h to 15,000 mg/h and a larger fan sterilizes in less time. Industrial Pro Grade Ozone Generator - Low maintenance and...
- THE ENERZEN OZONE GENERATOR IS BIGGER AND BETTER THAN THE OTHERS -- Compare our unit with the other generic box units on the market and you will see that our fan is larger for better ozone...
- POWERFUL ODOR ELIMINATION AND MOLD CONTROL AND REMOVAL -- Eliminates virtually ANY mal-odors from mold, cigarette/cigar smoke, pet odors, paint/cleaning fumes, dust, water damage, smoke damage,...
The Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator is an ozone generator recommended only for unoccupied spaces.
Much like other ozone generators, it has potential health hazards depending on the occupants’ conditions.
The new design that Enerzen implemented into this larger version of their ozone generator produces over 6,000 mg of ozone.
It also houses a larger fan to cover the square footage of up to 4,000 square feet.
The larger fans (40% increase over previous models) help to allow the negative ions to cover more space than ever before.
This unit from Enerzen is capable of handling odor removal of just about anything, including cigarette smoke, pets, chemical fumes, water damage, dust, mold, and mildew.
It’s also incredibly energy efficient to help you save on your utility bill.
Lastly, it has a new timer design for better control, as well as to make it run only when you need it to.
The positives about the Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator can go on for a while; it’s such a great overall negative ion generator!
The best features of this model include a large amount of space it can cover, the ability to remove nearly any bad smell, industry-leading customer support, and a washable stainless steel filter, so there’s almost no maintenance required on your part.
The only bad thing about this model from Enerzen is that since it’s an ozone generator, you should only use it in unoccupied spaces.
It isn’t an air purifier designed for use in your living room or bedroom due to the effects of ozone.
- Wide coverage
- Can eliminate most odors and molds
- Customizable runtime
- Attracts particles efficiently
- One-year warranty
- For unoccupied spaces only
- Warranty isn’t as good as you can get from other manufacturers
- HIGH CAPACITY 10,000 mg/h: Upgraded MA10K-PRO ozone plates support high ozone output of 10,000 mg/h with a 5-year or 20,000-hour service life.
- REMOVE TOUGH ODORS: Ozone is one the most powerful oxidant, which removes tough odors.
- EASY OPERATION: Set the timer and leave it at home for thorough air cleaning. Apply the ozone treatment twice a week for normal use. Increase the treatment duration and frequency when air problem...
The Airthereal MA10K-PRO Ozone Generator is, as the name suggests, another ozone-creating negative ion generator.
This unit will produce the largest amounts of ozone per hour for a generator of its size, giving you some of the best bangs for your buck.
Airthereal touts the MA10K-PRO as a high-capacity ozone generator, and they aren’t exaggerating with that.
This negative ion generator produces and outputs 10,000 milligrams of ozone per hour, which is almost 70% more than the Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator!
This compact, high-capacity unit has a 20,000-hour service life, which it will spend removing the toughest odors you can throw at it.
Ozone helps remove difficult odors and also prevents the growth of mold within the area.
The Airthereal MA10K-PRO Ozone Generator’s 120-minute timer allows for easy operation to turn on and let it run while you’re not in the area.
Airthereal wanted to make this one of the highest capacity ozone generators on the market in its price range, and that’s exactly what they did.
The ozone is capable of eliminating all types of odors, and the output of the MA10K-PRO can handle it quickly and efficiently.
Plus, with a three-year warranty, you won’t have to worry about your Airthereal product failing and you being left holding the bag.
Similar to other ozone generators, you don’t want to use the Airthereal MA10K-PRO Ozone Generator in the house when you, your family, or your pets may be using the space soon.
Ozone is pretty nasty stuff that you don’t want to be around while it’s running.
Another problem is that the unit has a service life of one year with currently no replacement parts for sale, meaning you’d need to buy a new unit every five years.
- Huge capacity
- Can eliminate the toughest odors
- Can run without anyone needing to be nearby
- Industry-leading warranty
- Removes a variety of odors
- Mold-removal capability
- Easy to use
- For unoccupied spaces only
- No replacement parts available
- Five-year service life
- COMMERCIAL OZONE GENERATOR: 5000mg/h ozone output deodorizes your space from odors, smoke and VOCs. Use ozone generator twice a week, keep an ethereal ambiance.
- AIR TREATMENT & ODOR REMOVAL: Ozone Generator is great for your home, offices and rooms, smoke and pet areas, basement, car, boat, restaurant and bar, kitchen, hospital, school and kindergarten, water...
- ONLY USE IN UNOCCUPIED SPACE: Timer function can be set up to 120 minutes and you can also use “HOLD” mode to keep it on. We strongly recommend you to set timer before you leave the room, ensure...
The second consecutive product from this manufacturer, the Airthereal MA5000 Ozone Generator comes in as the third product in our list.
Aithereal is one of the top names in the negative ion generator industry, as you can see, with it claiming two out of the five spots on this list.
This unit from Airhtereal produces half as much ozone as our second-ranked option above, but this still puts it at a similar output level to Enerzen.
With an output of 5,000 milligrams of ozone per hour, you can rest assured knowing that this machine can handle the air purification and odor removals that you need.
The MA5000 is designed to be Airthereal’s more portable and energy-efficient model of the two on this list.
It includes a unique rubber handle for easy transportation anywhere you need the air purifier.
It also uses an incredibly low amount of energy, and it’s affordable to use.
With its 5,000 mg/hour of ozone production, the Airthereal MA5000 can handle almost as much air as the Enerzen product.
Unlike the other option from Airthereal, the MA5000 includes replaceable ozone plates rather than just having a five-year service life.
It’s also easy to move and take anywhere you need it.
This unit from Airthereal should only be used in unoccupied spaces like all ozone generators, so it isn’t made for purifying the air in your family room or anything.
Also, it only has a 5,000-hour service life, so it might fail earlier than other options.
- Significant ozone production
- Replaceable ceramic plates
- Easy to move, use, and maintain
- Removes multiple odors and molds
- Customizable runtime
- 5,000-hour service life
- Only services 1,000 square feet
- For unoccupied spaces only
- POWERFUL 6,000 MG/H OZONE GENERATOR- Alpine Air New Improved Ozone Generator provide 6,000 mg/h of Ozone. The Ozone Air Purifier Creates O3 in a Special Process that Charges Electrical Current in...
- NO FILTER NEEDED- Our New Air Purifier and Ionizer Provide 6000 Guaranteed Hours of Service Life. You can Easily use our Air Deodorizer on a Daily Basis Without the need of Changing a Filter. After...
- BEST ODOR ELIMINATOR AND AIR IONIZER- Alpine Air Professional Air Deodorizer is a Heavy Duty Device that can be Used Anywhere. The Compact Design Allows Air Ionization any where in your Home or Office...
Coming in as fourth and the final ozone generator on this list is the Alpine Air Commercial Ozone Generator.
This heavy-duty air cleaner, deodorizer, sterilizer offers high-quality service at a similar price to the other units on this list.
This Alpine Air negative ion generator, like three of the others on this list, is an ozone generator capable of sterilizing and deodorizing air in your unoccupied spaces with ease.
This generator produces 6,000 milligrams of ozone per hour to handle your toughest areas.
With the compact design of the Alpine Air Commercial Ozone Generator, you can use it almost anywhere.
Also, since it doesn’t require the use of a filter, there is no maintenance on your end or outside of replacing the ozone plate every 6,000 hours.
That is made even easier by the quick-access panel.
The Alpine Air Commercial Ozone Generator creates and outputs ozone to sterilize, purify, and deodorize the air where ever you need to use it.
It is one of only two options on this list that includes an easy-to-carry handle to make it more portable for use in more places.
This unit also comes with a quick access adapter that allows you to swap out the ozone plate in 15 seconds without needing any tools!
Like other ozone generators, you can only use it in unoccupied spaces to protect people and animals.
This unit also only comes with a one-year replacement warranty that is lacking compared to other similar products.
- Eliminate multiple odors and germs
- Patent-pending quick access adapter
- Easy and quick removal of ozone plates
- Filter-less design
- Nearly maintenance-free
- Easy to move around
- Leaves a bit of a stronger ozone smell than other units
- For unoccupied spaces only
- Short-term warranty
- ECO-FRIENDLY AIR PURIFIER: This small quiet discreet plug in device will trap harmful airborne particles in any room in your house, dorm or office. Odors from smoke, cat, dog, dust, pets and more will...
- EASY TO USE: Air Genie Takes germs, bacteria, viruses and awful odors and quite literally replaces them with healthy, fresh air molecules. Plug in the purifier and forget about it - No need to replace...
- MODERN DESIGN: Our new design with sleek silhouette and blue LED let's you know we are on the cutting edge of design and technology, You No longer have to compromise between healthy fresh air and...
The Air Genie Revolutionary Air Freshener is the only option on our list that isn’t an ozone generator.
It is, therefore, perfectly safe to use anywhere in your home!
This air ionizer from Air Genie is one of the simplest products to use; you just plug it straight into the outlet in your home and let it run.
While it’s plugged in and running, it will sterilize the air and deodorize bad smells without being noticed due to its compact design and silent operation.
The Air Genie Revolutionary Air Freshener is the perfect product to plug into a few rooms in your house to keep the air fresh and clean.
With no filters or ceramic plates that need to be cleaned or replaced, it’s entirely maintenance-free!
Air Genie outdid themselves with this air purifier, as all you need to do is plug it into the wall, and that’s it.
There’s also no filters, ceramic plates, and harmful ozone generation.
The Air Genie Revolutionary Air Freshener silently and discretely run and makes your home fresh and smelling great.
You can use it any time no matter how many people are in the house.
The Air Genie Revolutionary Air Freshener is smaller than any of the other options on this list.
It can handle a lot less space than the others in terms of air purification.
- Can be used in your home while it’s occupied
- Discreet design
- Quiet operation
- No filters or plates to clean or replace
- Convenient to use
- Money-back guarantee
- Need multiple units for the whole house
Best Negative Ion Generators: Buyers Guide
Even if you’ve already narrowed down your search by considering the products we reviewed above, there are a few things you should keep in mind while shopping.
You must understand the important features of negative ion generators, such as:
1. Ozone Generation
You’ll want to know if the generator outputs ozone as the working agent.
If so, as mentioned, you must keep in mind that you shouldn’t use it anywhere that people and/or pets will be using.
These are used for commercial properties or homes when you’ll be away for a while.
2. Filters and Plates
Consider how the filters and ozone plates within the generator need to be maintained.
Some options will have filters and plates that you can clean and re-use, while others offer replacements.
Lastly, some models require you to purchase an entirely new generator once the filters and plates reach their service lives.
3. Build or Durability
As with any product, you want something that will last. Thus, don’t go for items made of low-quality plastic that might fall apart the first use.
Opt for high build quality that will last you for years.
FAQs About Negative Ion Generators
What is a negative ion generator?
A negative ion generator is another name for an air ionizer. Negative ion generators purify the air that travels through and around them through the process of ionization.
Ionization causes particles to be attracted to other surfaces instead of stay in the air.
Do negative ion generators really work?
Negative ion generators work by causing airborne particles to become negatively charged and naturally stick to other surfaces rather than being in the air.
This does work as the particles will be stuck on the other surfaces and no longer be freely floating in the air.
Can negative ions be harmful?
In general negative ions are typically seen as being beneficial.
When it comes to negative ion generators, many of them generate ozone, which can be harmful to both humans and pets.
As such, you should not use ozone generators in occupied spaces or areas that will be occupied after a few hours of using the generator.
Do negative ions kill viruses?
Negative ions do not necessarily kill the viruses by themselves.
All they do is cause the virus to become negatively charged, so the viruses get attracted to the surface rather than floating in the air.
This process halts the spread of the virus and can help prevent viruses from entering your body through the air.
Which is better—air purifier or ionizer?
Both types of air filtration systems work well and can be used to great effect. There isn’t one that is better than the other.
Again, with ozone generators, you don’t want to use them in an occupied or soon-to-be occupied space due to the harmful effects of ozone.
Decide which type of purification is best for yourself and your situation; you’ll be happy either way!
Best Negative Ion Generators: Our Final Recommendation
After you’ve kept all of the important things in mind, such as if it uses ozone or not, what the required maintenance is, and the construction quality, it’s time to make a decision.
The best of the best negative ion generator for us is the Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator.
It can sterilize up to 4,000 square feet with an industry-leading 180-minute timer for customized use.
That said, no matter which option you end up going with, we’re confident that you’ll be happy with any of the negative ion generators on this list.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.