As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Basements are one of the most confined spaces and worst spots in the house because it is prone to moisture build-up, which can start causing issues without you even noticing them.
If you’ve recently been down in your basement and can see water damage or caught a whiff of strong mildew or mold smell, it may be time to get a dehumidifier for your basement.
We will go over five of the best dehumidifiers for basements and let you know the most important things to keep in mind while shopping.
- 1 Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Amazon Best Sellers
- 2 My Top 5 Best Dehumidifiers for Basements
- 3 Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Buyer’s Guide
- 4 FAQs About Best Dehumidifier for Basement
- 5 Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Our Final Recommendation
Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Amazon Best Sellers
If you’re in a hurry, take a look at these Amazon Best Sellers. Otherwise keep reading!
My Top 5 Best Dehumidifiers for Basements
This Waykar dehumidifier is capable of dealing with spaces up to 2000 square feet, so it is more than capable of handling the basement space in most places with plenty of capacity left over.
This dehumidifier can remove five gallons of water per day from your basement while it keeps humidity constant, between 35% and 85%.
With the Waykar 40 Pint Dehumidifier, you’re also not limited to your basement.
With its sleek, modern design, rotating casters, and ergonomic handle, you can bring and use it in your office, home, or bathroom, and it will perform well and look great doing it.
There’s a slew of great things about this dehumidifier from Waykar.
It can remove 40 pints of water per day while maintaining a set point of humidity.
Its intelligent control monitors the humidity level and automatically turns it on as needed.
It can also automatically drain into your basement drain by running the included hose as needed, so you don’t need to do anything except turn it on and let it do its magic.
We also love that the unit comes with a 30-day, money-back guarantee, a one-year warranty that you can extend for another year, and a lifetime of technical support.
There isn’t much to dislike about the Waykar 40 Pint Dehumidifier, but it does have a small water bucket included.
At only 2.5 liters, you need to drain the water bucket multiple times per day if it’s running at full capacity and removing five gallons per day.
This flaw, though, is overcome by using the included drain hose.
- Removes high amount of water per day
- Keeps the humidity at the set point
- Easy to move around
- Sleek, compact design
- Ideal for all-over use
- Risk-free purchase
- Small bucket
- Loud operation
- Dehumidifier for Space Up to 2000 Sq. Ft: Our dehumidifiers are able to remove up to 34 pints (under 95°F,90%RH condition) of moisture per day. (Please note: under 95°F,90%RH condition,the max...
- Unique Design for The Modern Home: The Waykar dehumidifiers designed with sleek and modern look. With 360° rotatable wheels and ergonomically lift up handles, you can move around this dehumidifier...
- Intelligent Control: After you set your desired humidity, the dehumidifier will run intelligently. Humidity Auto Control-Simply adjust to your desire humidity, it will work smartly, when it reached...
The Vremi 22 Pint Dehumidifier has a sleek and easy-to-use design that you can use on medium-sized spaces or basements.
Although this dehumidifier only extracts 22 pints of water per day from your basement, it has many highlights.
Vremi wanted to design this with you in mind, so they made it quiet and sleek looking.
It will also run continuously, keeping the desired setpoint.
It also has a built-in turbo mode for maximum speed at reducing moisture levels.
The best things about the Vremi 22 Pint Dehumidifier include its automatic control and shut-off, quiet operation, and a proprietary turbo mode that speeds up the fan to reduce moisture even quicker.
It also has a three-liter tank, which is 20% larger than the Waykar unit we reviewed earlier.
This Vremi dehumidifier is only capable of removing 22 pints of moisture from your basement per day, which is pretty low for standard dehumidifiers.
That said, the company offers the same model design that can remove 35 pints or 50 pints of moisture.
- Modern, compact design
- Retains a certain humidity level
- Shuts-off when full
- Continuous draining possible with drain hose
- Energy Star rated
- Easy to use and move around
- It May not be enough for high-moisture basements
- Plastic material
- This Compressor Dehumidifier Keeps Spaces Up to 4500 Sq. Ft. Cool & Comfortable by Removing 50 Pints of Moisture/Day (70 Pint according to the old DOE [Department of Energy] standards, in 2019 this...
- Built-In Humidity Sensor - The LCD accurately displays the current humidity level in the room, enabling you to set your ideal levels for automatic moisture controlAllergens & Odors for Healthy Air
- Low Maintenance & Easy Operation; Simply Plug-In, Select Settings & Empty 1.3 Gallon Reservoir
As the name suggests, the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier is a small unit that’s ideal for small areas of up to 150 square feet.
Being such a small dehumidifier, this option from Pro Breeze is perfect for small basements but also closets, offices, RVs, and garages.
With its compact and lightweight design, the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier can be moved around and put exactly where you need it.
Outside of being small and lightweight, the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier packs a punch for its size.
It can remove nine ounces of water per day and has a 16-ounce water tank that will only need emptying once every couple of days.
It will automatically shut off when it’s full and illuminate an LED to let you know.
Of course, this unit is incapable of controlling the humidity in a large basement or removing the amount of water that larger units are capable of.
It won’t do much for your 1,000+ square foot space if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Super small and lightweight
- Easy to take where you need it
- Only needs to be emptied once every couple of days
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Easy to use
- Large water tank
- Not suitable for large spaces
- Only removes nine ounces of moisture per day
- Small & Compact: Lightweight, compact and portable. Capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day with a 52-ounce water tank capacity. Ideal for rooms up to 2200 cubic feet (250 sq ft)
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn-on indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the...
- Ultra-Quiet & Efficient: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices
Coming in as the 4th dehumidifier on our list, Honeywell offers their TP30WKN Energy Star Dehumidifier.
This option is designed for smaller basements or areas up to 1,000 square feet.
One of the smaller options on this list, other than the Pro Breeze, the Honeywell TP30WKN is perfect for small basements or crawl spaces.
It can remove 30 pints of moisture per day, which is a good amount for smaller rooms.
The best part about this Honeywell product is the revered customer service and credibility that comes with Honeywell products, including a five-year warranty.
It also has smart digital humidistat control for automatic operation, can remove 30 pints of moisture per day, and has a slew of other features, such as an energy-saving timer, a sleep mode, low-temperature operation, and auto-restart.
Although it is a great dehumidifier for small basements, it can’t compete with some of the other bigger options on our list.
If you have a big open basement, you might need to get a bigger dehumidifier than this one.
- Automatic humidistat control
- Manual or automatic draining
- 30-pint per day moisture removal
- Energy-saving timer
- Risk-free purchase
- Designed for small rooms and basements
- A bit bigger than units of comparable capabilities
- [POWERFUL DEHUMIDIFIER FOR LARGE ROOMS] This powerful beast effectively removes up to 70 Pints per day (50 Pint 2019 DOE Standard) of moisture from the air to protect walls, curtains, furniture and...
- [PEACE OF MIND WITH A BRAND YOU TRUST] Honeywell Dehumidifiers are top rated by an independent, U. S. -based product safety-testing agency since 2016 and all Honeywell Dehumidifiers are backed by a...
- [EFFECTIVELY REMOVES MOISTURE, ODOR, MOLD & MILDEW] Effectively removes excess moisture to help protect your home from allergy & odor causing mold & mildew.
Rounding out the top five basement dehumidifiers, the Seavon New Electric Mini Dehumidifier stakes its claim.
It is another mini dehumidifier designed with smaller spaces in mind, able to control the humidity in a room of about 170 square feet.
Designed to be easily carried and moved to any new location you need, the Seavon is a great alternative to the Pro Breeze unit reviewed above.
It has much of the same performance and capabilities, yet it comes at a more affordable price.
Exactly like the Pro Breeze above, it can remove 9 ounces of water per day and has a 16-ounce water tank, so it performs great for its size.
We love that this device works at 40W/hour, helping you save energy and prevent a significant increase in your bill.
Its miniature size makes it the perfect option for taking with you anywhere you go or moving it to any new areas like an office, bathroom, crawl space, RV, or garage.
Although it works great for what it’s designed for, this mini dehumidifier from Seavon won’t be able to handle many basements out there.
If you did use it for your basement, it would only be useful for a relatively dry basement since it only captures nine ounces of moisture per day.
- Small and lightweight
- Automatic shut-off
- LED indicator when water tank is full
- Easy tank removal and installation
- Too small to handle most basements
- Moisture removal isn’t enough for wet conditions
- 【High-Efficiency Work】: Small and compact dehumidifier with 16 ounces/ 500 ml capacity tank extracts up to 10 oz/ 300 ml daily in enclosed and small rooms and spaces.
- 【Auto-Shut off Function】: Compact dehumidifier shut-off automatically when full water. Led would turn Red when the water tank needs draining. Easily removal and back into the dehumidifier.
- 【Ultra-Quiet& Efficient】: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper-quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices. Perfect use at...
Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Buyer’s Guide
If you’re having moisture issues in your basement and you’re in the market for a new dehumidifier to help keep it dry, there are a few things you should keep in mind while shopping.
Some of the most important things to look for during your dehumidifier search include how much moisture it can remove (and from how large of a space), how large its water tank is, and how it drains: manually or automatically.
Moisture Removal Capacity
When you’re searching for a dehumidifier, this is likely the most important thing to know.
You want to know how much moisture it can remove from your basement per day, which is typically stated in pints.
For instance, a 40-pint dehumidifier can remove 40 pints or about five gallons of moisture per day.
What is important to know about the water tank is how large it is.
It will determine how often you need to drain it and how quickly it will fill up.
It is important because even if a dehumidifier can remove a substantial amount of moisture from your basement if it has a tiny water tank, it will be constantly shutting itself off.
It will also require you to empty it more often than a dehumidifier with a larger water tank.
How It Drains
Dehumidifiers can be drained in one of two ways.
They can drain into its water tank, which you must empty whenever it fills up, or have a drain hose connected to them, which runs to a drain and automatically and continuously drains itself, so you don’t need to worry about it.
Many dehumidifiers give you the option for both, but it’s something you want to consider when looking for one.
Auto-draining is nice since it requires far less maintenance on your end.
FAQs About Best Dehumidifier for Basement
Is a dehumidifier good for a basement?
Dehumidifiers are perfect for a basement! Many can just be turned on and let run by themselves, and all you need to do is plumb them to a drain or empty the water reservoir as necessary.
They are great for extracting excess moisture from your basement.
How big of a dehumidifier do I need for my basement?
The right size dehumidifier will differ depending on the size of your basement and the moisture conditions within the space.
Choosing the right size will require you to know the size of the area and moisture levels, and then you can use that information to decide on the perfect size.
Where should a dehumidifier be placed in a basement?
The best place to put the dehumidifier is in the middle of the area that you’re trying to extract the moisture from.
This will allow the machine to remove moisture from all areas of the basement in about the same amount of time.
What is the lifespan of a dehumidifier?
Dehumidifier lifespans will differ from unit to unit depending on the manufacturer, how often you use it, and how well you maintain it.
Typically, you’ll get about five to ten years’ worth of service out of your dehumidifier.
Do dehumidifiers use a lot of electricity?
Although dehumidifier manufacturers have been making efforts to make them more energy-efficient over the years, they still use a fair amount of electricity.
Now they don’t use enough to increase your bill drastically, but you can expect to see an additional $5-$10/month on your utility bill on average.
Best Dehumidifier for Basement: Our Final Recommendation
When you consider everything, such as the price, the quality, and moisture removal capability, there is one option on our best dehumidifiers for basements list that rises above the rest.
The best dehumidifier for your basement is the Waykar 40 Pint Dehumidifier.
With its big moisture-removing capability and ability to handle the humidity in a space up to 2,000 square feet, it’s the clear winner.
The only real drawback to the Waykar is the small water tank, but with the ability to auto-drain into your drain hole with the included drain hose, that problem goes away.
Nonetheless, no matter which option on this list you decide is best for you, we are confident that you’ll be satisfied with your purchase!
Last Updated on February 5, 2021 by Ian Foster
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.